The district of Madhubani was carved out of the old Darbhanga district in the year 1972 as a result of reorganisation of the districts in the State. This was formerly the northern subdivision of Darbhanga district. It consists of 21 Development Blocks. Bounded on the north by a hill region of Nepal and extending to the border of its parent district Darbhanga in the south, Sitamarhi in the west and Supaul in the east, Madhubani fairly represents the centre of the territory once known as Mithila and the district has maintained a distinct individuality of its own.
It is located at a Longitude of 25º-59' to 26º-39' East and the Latitude is 85º-43' to 86º-42' North.
Height from Sea
The Madhubani district is situated at height of 80 meters from Sea.
Hill region of
• Madhubani occupies a total of 3501 sq. kms.
• Main Rivers are Kamla , Kareh, Balan, Bhutahi Balan, Gehuan, Supen, Trishula, Jeevachh, Koshi and Adhwara Group.
• High Flood Level is 54.017 m.
• Whole District is under Earthquake Zone 5.
• Total Cropped Area - 218381 Hect.
• Barren /Uncultivable Land - 1456.5 Hect
• Land under Non-agricultural use - 51273.24 Hect
• Cultivable Barren Land - 333.32 Hect
• Permanent Pasture - 1372.71 Hect
• Miscellaneous Trees - 8835.90 Hect
• Cultivable Land - 232724 Hect
• Cropping Intensity - 134.23 %
• Varies between 900mm and 1300 mm.
• Average Rainfall = 1273.2 mm.
|1.||No. of Sub-Divisions||5|
|2.||No. of Blocks||21|
|3.||No. of Circles||20|
|4.||No. of Panchayats||399|
|5.||No. of Villages||1111|
|7.||No. of Assisting Thana||13|
|8.||No. of Outposts||5|
|9.||No. of Town Outposts||4|
|10.||No. of Jail||2|
|11.||No. of MP Constituencies||2|
|13.||No. of Zila Parishad Members||56|
|14.||No. of Panchayat Samiti Members||555|
|15.||No. of Gram Panchayat Members||5523|
Source: Census of India 2001.
All Rights Reserved.
Site Designed and Developed by NIC Bihar State Centre, Bihar